Sunday, October 11, 2009

Searching, Downloading, and Installing Updates via VBS

Set updateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")


Set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateupdateSearcher()



WScript.Echo "Searching for updates..." & vbCRLF



Set searchResult = _


updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software'")




WScript.Echo "List of applicable items on the machine:"



For I = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1


Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)


WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & update.Title


Next



If searchResult.Updates.Count = 0 Then


WScript.Echo "There are no applicable updates."


WScript.Quit


End If



WScript.Echo vbCRLF & "Creating collection of updates to download:"



Set updatesToDownload = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")



For I = 0 to searchResult.Updates.Count-1


Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)


WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> adding: " & update.Title


updatesToDownload.Add(update)


Next



WScript.Echo vbCRLF & "Downloading updates..."



Set downloader = updateSession.CreateUpdateDownloader()


downloader.Updates = updatesToDownload


downloader.Download()



WScript.Echo  vbCRLF & "List of downloaded updates:"



For I = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1


Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)


If update.IsDownloaded Then


WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & update.Title


End If


Next



Set updatesToInstall = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")



WScript.Echo  vbCRLF & _


"Creating collection of downloaded updates to install:"



For I = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1


set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)


If update.IsDownloaded = true Then


WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> adding:  " & update.Title


updatesToInstall.Add(update)


End If


Next



WScript.Echo  vbCRLF & "Would you like to install updates now? (Y/N)"


strInput = WScript.StdIn.Readline


WScript.Echo



If (strInput = "N" or strInput = "n") Then


WScript.Quit


ElseIf (strInput = "Y" or strInput = "y") Then


WScript.Echo "Installing updates..."


Set installer = updateSession.CreateUpdateInstaller()


installer.Updates = updatesToInstall


Set installationResult = installer.Install()



'Output results of install


WScript.Echo "Installation Result: " & _


installationResult.ResultCode


WScript.Echo "Reboot Required: " & _


installationResult.RebootRequired & vbCRLF


WScript.Echo "Listing of updates installed " & _


"and individual installation results:"



For I = 0 to updatesToInstall.Count - 1


WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & _


updatesToInstall.Item(i).Title & _


": " & installationResult.GetUpdateResult(i).ResultCode


Next


End If



http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387102(VS.85).aspx

Print Friendly and PDF
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment