Thursday, November 8, 2012

Windows 7 move user profile to another drive (e.g. C:\Users\<Username> to I:\Users\<Username>)

1. Login with administrator account


2. Relocate your user data to other non-system volume, for example from C:\Users\<Username> to I:\Users\<Username>


3. Use mklink to create a symbolic link from C:\Users\<Username> to I:\Users\<Username>

Command: “mklink /D C:\Users\J I:\users\J”

image

Re-login use your own account,you will find nothing changed,but in fact your physical user data is on drive I.

image

image

Run the command with administrative privilege. Also make sure the C:\Users\<Username> do not exist before run this command. (The folder should be move to the I:\Users\<Username>

5. Login by using the user account of this user profile. Print Friendly and PDF
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment